I kind of feel like my world is slowly moving more and more mac. This is quite weird for me as a programmer for 17 years most of them on windows. Mind you most of the time was cross development for other platforms like ps3 or xbox360 so really I don’t know that much about PC programming.
I am in the mood to try new things like OSs and hardware. Good thing with all of the changes going on in the world.
Anyways about this mac. It is a mac air 11in so bottom of the heap in performance and price. I did get 8GB of ram and Intel i7 and 256GB SSD however so it is as fast as 11in mac can be.
What I have learned.
- Mac setup news and web sites are mostly out of date.
- I couldn’t print the boot camp installation guide.
- I just read CNET installation guide but it was so different I wasted a lot of time.
- You can tether with blue tooth a iphone 3GS, a ipad 3 and mac air.
- Not all at once mind you.
- You have to select connect on the ipad or the mac NOT on the iphone. If you connect on the iphone it thinks the iphone wants a feature from mac or ipad.
- iphone can’t use a mac or ipad connection . But mac or ipad can use the iphones.
- You will probably have to phone your cell phone company and get it enabled. I did and they gave me 2GB of extra download.
- It is no wonder with all of these got-ya that no one seems to know if it works or not.
- I really have to switch to mac like way.
- Setting up Win 7 on a mac is a pain… mostly because I was following out of date instructions.
- Running Win 7 is a waste because Win 7 will kill the mac’s good battery life
The last point I think is kind of funny. It makes me think of HP and Microsoft in a room complaining about battery life and how they will stop people from switching to apple. HP saying it is because Microsoft software sucks and Microsoft saying it is because of hardware. Then Microsoft says I will prove it you will see with windows 8 I will make my own hardware.
My guess is a mac sleeps faster and more and probably do less. However maybe they are doing less like RISC does less then CISC. Time will tell.